August 26 - November 1, 2019
MAB, 6 MAB Eastern Promenade, Tonsley SA 5042
Morning session: 9.15am; Afternoon session: 12.15pm
Morning session: 11.15am/11.45am; Afternoon session 2.15pm/2.45pm
Why bring your students on a STEM tour of Tonsley?
Have you ever heard your students ask, “Will we ever need this in real life?”
A tour of Tonsley Innovation District will provide the answer.
This immersive experience will change the way your students see their futures. Bring your students to see what they are working towards and why STEM is the way to get there.
For your students, Tonsley is a living lesson in the importance of STEM for future careers.
What is included in the tours?
- An exploration of the impressive line-up of high-tech businesses that call Tonsley home, including the chance to get up close and personal with three different businesses during the tour
- An opportunity to go behind the scenes of one high-tech business to explore in greater depth
- Touring the award-winning five-hectare Main Assembly Building (the MAB) and discovering the sustainability and design thinking behind its abundant natural sunlight, ventilation and green urban forests
- How industry, research and government work together to strengthen Australia’s place in the 4th industrial revolution
- The history and development of Australia’s first and most awarded innovation district and what that actually means.
Supports learning outcomes
Supports learning outcomes across all STEM fields from Years 7 to 10, as well as Geography, and Economics and Business Skills.
The tour will also support learning at the SACE level in Business Innovation, Community Studies, Design and Technologies (Material Products and Systems and Control Products), Digital Technologies, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Workplace Practices and show the real-world relevance of all Mathematics courses.
Pre- and post-visit resources will be provided to teachers upon booking, including links to further information for student research tasks.
What is Tonsley Innovation District?
Tonsley is Australia’s first innovation district and South Australia’s hub of high-value manufacturing.
The 61-hectare former car manufacturing plant is now home to leading businesses and start-ups, co-located amongst business incubators and accelerators, as well as TAFE SA’s Building and Construction Centre and Flinders University’s College of Science and Engineering.
For teachers and students, Tonsley Innovation District is the largest STEM education resource in the state. Tonsley hosts the careers of today and tomorrow in four focus sectors:
- Health, medical devices and assistive technologies
- Cleantech and renewable energy
- Automation, software and simulation
- Mining and energy services.
Tonsley is home to some of the most progressive businesses and individuals in South Australia driving innovation in forward-focused industry areas, including:
- SAGE – Australia’s leading provider of industrial automation and control services.
- Micro-X – developers and manufacturers of innovative, ultra-lightweight mobile x-ray and imaging systems for medical and security applications.
- ZEISS – a global developer, producer and distributor of microscopes, medical technology, eyeglass, camera and cine lenses, binoculars and semiconductor manufacturing equipment.
- Tesla – operate their Asia-Pacific service hub at Tonsley to monitor and service the world’s largest lithium-ion battery, vehicle Supercharger stations, Powerwall installations and Tesla vehicles.
- The Global Centre for Modern Ageing – developing an empowering ecosystem for businesses, researchers and governments to find opportunities in modern ageing.
- The South Australia Drill Core Reference Library – home of South Australia’s entire priceless collection of drill cores from 120 years of mineral exploration.
Who is Mobile Science Education?
South Australian-based Mobile Science Education (MSE) have provided engaging and educational science excursions since 2006. MSE caters for more than 35,000 students and teachers across South Australia every year, delivering interactive demonstrations, hands-on workshops and industry tours.
Visit the MSE website for more information.
What is STEM Works at Tonsley?
STEM Works at Tonsley is an industry focused educational tour introducing students and teachers to the future of STEM careers. This Renewal SA Works Program initiative is delivered in partnership with Mobile Science Education and Tonsley Innovation District.
Visit the Renewal SA Works Program website for more information.
Who can come?
The tours are aimed at Year 7 to Year 12.
How many students?
30 students per tour plus accompanying staff.
How long does it take?
A tour runs for 2 hours (yr 7-9) or 2.5 hours (yr 10-12).
When is it?
Term 3, 2019 – Two tours daily from Monday, 26 August to Friday, 30 August
Morning session: 9.15am
Afternoon session: 12.15pm
Term 4, 2019 – Two tours daily from Monday, 28 October to Friday, 1 November
Morning session: 9.15am
Afternoon session: 12.15pm
Terms 1-4, 2020
Tours will be available with dates to be confirmed. Please call to express your interest in participating in a tour in 2020.
What is the cost?
FREE – you just need to organise transportation.
Renewal SA and Tonsley Innovation District are funding this initiative to provide students the opportunity to explore and discover the STEM careers of the future.
For further information and to book, contact Mobile Science Education providing the following details:
- Preferred dates (provide options)
- Preferred start time
- Year level and number of students
- Your name and school contact details.